A national approach to food and nutrition
Putting nutrition on the agenda
We're working with you to educate policy-makers on the importance of good nutrition.
We want to improve the health of Australians and reduce diet-related costs to our health sector.
The National Preventive Health Strategy
The recently released National Preventive Health Strategy is an important step in the right direction for the health of Australia.
This strategy recognises the pivotal role that food and nutrition plays in good health.
The National Preventive Health Strategy also proposes systemic changes that will make it easier for Australians to adopt healthy diets.
For the strategy to be effective, it needs to:
It also recommends all nutrition and food action in Australia be guided by a specific national policy document.
Dietitians Australia provided comment on the draft strategy. Read our submission and media release.
Australia last updated its national nutritional policy in 1992. Since that time, the diet-related health of the country has deteriorated.
We want a new policy that:
- addresses the increasing cost of diet-related chronic disease
- recommends healthy nutrition initiatives
- supports the role of dietitians
- improves population health
- addresses current and future nutrition issues
- provides leadership for governments and health agencies
The National Preventive Health Strategy, along with updated food and nutrition policies, have the potential to deliver many health, environmental and productivity benefits to Australians.
We're not alone
As we call on the Australian Government to develop a new policy, we're working with:
- Heart Foundation
- Nutrition Australia
- Public Health Association of Australia
Together, we're asking for a national policy to align with recommendations from:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations Steering Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
Read our Joint Policy Statement: Towards a National Nutrition Policy for Australia.
Read our related report from 2019: Nourish not Neglect - Putting health on our nation's table
Our policy work
Learn more about our policy work.
Getting more involved
As a member, your voice can help us:
- build healthier communities
- call for policy change
- advocate for the work of dietitians
There are many ways you can get involved, including:
- your local branch
- advisory committees
- interest and discussion groups
Find out how you can get involved