National Nutrition Policy
Putting nutrition on the agenda
We're working with you to educate policy-makers on the importance of good nutrition.
We want to improve the health of Australians and reduce diet-related costs to our health sector.
We're working towards an updated National Nutrition Policy.
Australia last updated its nutritional policy in 1992. Since that time, the diet-related health of the country has deteriorated.
We want a new policy that:
- addresses the increasing cost of diet-related chronic disease
- recommends healthy nutrition initiatives
- supports the role of dietitians
- improves population health
- addresses current and future nutrition issues
- provides leadership for governments and health agencies
We're not alone
As we call on the Australian Government to develop a new policy, we're working with:
- Heart Foundation
- Nutrition Australia
- Public Health Association of Australia
Together, we're asking for a national policy to align with recommendations from:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations Steering Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
Read our Joint Policy Statement: Towards a National Nutrition Policy for Australia.
Our policy work
Learn more about our policy work.
Getting more involved
As a member, your voice can help us:
- build healthier communities
- call for policy change
- advocate for the work of dietitians
There are many ways you can get involved, including:
- your local branch
- advisory committees
- interest and discussion groups
Find out how you can get involved