Changing your membership category 

You might want to change your membership category if you've:

  • finished your studies
  • returned to study
  • increased your work hours
  • decreased your work hours
  • retired

Refunds are not given if you downgrade your current membership during the year. 

View our membership categories, fees and key dates

Student upgrade to full member

If you have completed your studies, you will need to upgrade from a student member to a full member. You will need to select a membership category that reflects your employment status and provide evidence of your course completion. 
Depending on the timing of your upgrade, you may pay a pro-rata membership fee.

Student upgrade (to full membership)  

Verification of qualifications may take a few days before your application is approved. Once your membership is approved we will email you your Dietitians Australia welcome pack.

Returning to full time study

If you are a full member, you may apply for membership fee remission if you return to full time study to enhance your dietetics practice.
This option is only available if:

  • you are enrolled in a full time PhD or other tertiary level course
  • you are not working more than 8 hours per week

Please contact us at [email protected] to discuss your situation. 

Changes to work hours

If you have changed your work hours, you may also need to change your membership category. 
For example, if you were previously unemployed  and are now working full time, your membership category would change from 'seeking work / unpaid work' to 'paid work: full-time'. 

Learn more about membership categories and fees

Your upgrade fee will be calculated as a pro-rata difference between your old and your new fee level.
Our member fee policy states refunds will not be issued if you change your employment status during the membership year. For example, if you become unemployed, retire or take time to raise a family. 

If you are experiencing financial hardship, or there are extenuating circumstances, you can apply for a refund in writing to the Chief Executive Officer.

If you would like to change your membership, contact us at [email protected] for assistance.